This content contains affiliate links. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through these links.
Have you ever wondered which Brontë heroine you are? The Bront sisters are one of my most enduring literary loves. I read Wuthering Heights and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall almost every year and fall under the spell of these vibrant, compelling stories every time. The novels by Charlotte, Emily and Anne Brontë are characterized by their memorable heroines: love or hate them, nobody who has read one of their books has forgotten Jane Eyre, Catherine Earnshaw or Helen “Graham” Huntingdon, among others. The critics of the time were both intrigued and appalled by her strength, tenacity, and relentless refusal to play second fiddle to the men in her life.
I’m nowhere near the only reader who loves these heroines. It is not for nothing that their quotes are famous even among non-readers. These characters were revolutionary: they shaped our collective consciousness so much that we know their names even if we haven’t read their books (though, if that’s the case, what are you waiting for?). In 1913, Mary Sinclair said of the heroine of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall: “The slamming of Helen Huntingdon’s bedroom door on her husband echoed throughout Victorian England.” Almost 200 years after their publication, the impact of the Bronts’ work and characters will still resonate and will continue to do so for centuries to come.
Are you a Jane Eyre or a Helen Huntingdon? A Catherine Earnshaw or an Agnes Gray? Regardless of the circumstances, you will be similar to one of them. Take this quiz and find out which Brontë heroine you are!
Check your shelf newsletter
Sign up to receive Check Your Shelf, the librarian’s one-stop shop for news, book lists, and more.
Thanks for signing up! Keep an eye on your inbox.
- You are Agnes Gray from the book Agnes Gray! They enjoy long walks, spring days, and long conversations with friends. Your kindness and kindness can blind people to your strength and firm principles.
- You are Helen Huntingdon from The Tenant of Wildfell Hall! They are idealistic and romantic, but they also have a steel backbone and a lot of common sense. People who try to submit to their will do so at their own risk.
- You are Shirley Keeldar from the book Shirley! Independent, confident and cheerful, you know exactly what you want and how to get it. You don’t love easily, but once you do you love forever.
- You are Caroline Helstone from the book Shirley! You are sweet and steadfast and loyal as they come. Sometimes Too Loyal: Your tendency to put other people first is often at the expense of your own well-being.
- You are Lucy Snowe from the book Villette! Some people may think you’re cold, but you know better. They are wayward, passionate, and have deep compassion. Don’t be afraid to let them show.
- You are Catherine Earnshaw from the book Wuthering Heights! You love nature and enjoy spending time in nature. You are stubborn, stubborn (sometimes too stubborn), and unwaveringly loyal.
- You are Jane Eyre from the book Jane Eyre! You may seem calm and shy to the untrained eye, but you have a depth of strength, conviction, and passion that will support you well during difficult times.